I want to try this Matzo Balls recipe and compare them to Mr. Magick Man’s family recipe. These just have one or two variations, but sound quite authentic, and very tasty! 🙂
I made candied bacon on New Year’s Eve and many people asked me for the recipe. It’s a variation on the Alton Brown recipe. Here it is, for anyone who wants to give it a go:
- 1 pound bacon (you can use the thick sliced but you’ll get a better result with center cut or regular cut)
- Brown Sugar
- Cayenne Pepper
- Preheat oven to 375
- Line a cookie sheet with foil
- Cover cookie sheet with a layer of brown sugar
- Add about 1/4 teaspoon cayenne pepper to the sugar, mix well
- Spread the sugar/pepper mix out again on the cookie sheet
- Lay your slices of bacon on top of the sugar
- Add a thin coat of brown sugar on top of the bacon.
- Bake at 375 for 10 minutes
After 10 minutes, remove cookie sheet from the oven. Use tongs to “flip” bacon. Continue baking another 10 minutes. Now take the cookie sheet out and baste the sugary syrup over the strips of bacon. Return to oven another 10 minutes and check.
For a crispy result, flip it again after this last check and let it bake yet another 10 minutes. For a gummy-bacon result, remove from oven at this time.
After removing from oven
Place strips of bacon on parchment paper or wax paper. If desired, cut into bite size pieces.